Applications are open for the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2020/2021 are open and being considered for selection.
About the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2020/2021
Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program continues to bolster collaborative research in certain fields or area of specialization which involves comparative genomic approaches such as population genomics, phylogenomics, metagenomics or transcriptomics, and have a component that consists of significant bioinformatics analysis.
The Smithsonian’s molecular research facilities have several locations in the Republic of Panama. The facilities are located at the National Museum of Natural History (NMNH), Smithsonian Environmental Research Center (SERC), Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute/National Zoological Park (SCBI/NZP), and the Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI).
Hence, this demonstrates how much collaboration among Smithsonian Institution (SI) facilities is encouraged.
Applicants stand the chance to be eligible to receive certain remuneration and benefits by participating in the 2020/2021 edition of the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program. Below are the following benefits:
- The stipend for Postdoctoral and Senior Fellows of the Smithsonian Institution (SI) is $50,400 each year (twelve months). However, it should be noted that the stipends are prorated for periods of less than twelve months.
- Allowances to support research-related expenses will be added to the fellow’s stipend, also temporary relocation to the Smithsonian Institution is possible.
- A maximum research allowance of $4,000 is available to the selected fellows.
Applicants looking to become a fellow in the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program are required to meet certain eligibility criteria, these eligibility criteria are as follows:
- Applicants must make a proposal to conduct research within the residence for a period of 12 to 24 months
- Applicants are required to have completed or be close to completion of their Ph.D. It should be noted that selected applicants of the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program who have not completed their Ph.D. at the time of application are required to provide proof of completion of the degree before the commencement of the fellowship
- Applicants who are interested in organizing research at the Smithsonian facilities are highly encouraged to contact potential hosts/advisors at any of the Smithsonian’s various Museums and Research Institutes before the preparation and submission of their proposal.
Applicants are to create an account in Smithsonian Online Academic Appointment (SOLAA) to enable them to apply.
NOTE: Applications for the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program are not listed under the museum, office, or research facility in which the applicant proposes to conduct research. As such, applicants are to select the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program found under the Office of Fellowships in SOLAA.
Interested and eligible applicants of the Smithsonian Biodiversity Genomics Postdoctoral Fellowship Program 2020/2021 are encouraged to visit the official online platform via this link to apply and for further information. All applications must be submitted by 1st of November, 2020 through SOLAA. Notification of decisions made by the Smithsonian Institution will be made in the first week of March.
1st of November, 2020.
For more details, visit this link.